1. During open access and the class already exists in that term
Note: ALL courses delivered online are now considered DE sections. Effective starting with the Spring 2021 term, online (-6xx section) classes are no longer required to be scheduled through DELTA, and permission to schedule new DE sections or make modifications to existing DE sections does not need to be obtained from DELTA. Departments will be responsible for scheduling these sections alongside their on-campus and hybrid courses.
Step 1: Under the ‘Basic Data’ tab, click the ‘+’ button to add a new section.
Step 2: The following ‘Basic Data’ fields are required:
- Session: For a fall or spring semester choose between the regular term, eight week 1, or eight week 2. For the summer choose between 3 week, 5 week, or 10 week.
- Start/End Date: These dates will auto populate based on the selected session.
- Class Section: The specific section number will be up to your department to decide on. For classes with multiple sections offered, these numbers are typically assigned in ascending numerical order.
Sections must consist of exactly three digits. Use the following as a general guide:
|00x, 0xx, 1xx||Standard sections|
|3xx||Hybrid (internet or in person)|
|6xx||Distance Education – Online|
Note: Letters like H or Q, signifying Honors or First Year Inquiry for example, can be placed at the end of the three numerical digits allowing for four characters.
- Component: The only components you will have the option to select from are pulled from the approved components in the course catalog. However, under rare circumstances an approved component will be missing from the ‘Class Associations’ tab. In these cases, the component will need to be added there before being an available option in ‘Maintain Schedule of Classes.’
- Class Type: Most classes are enrollment sections meaning the students will be able to select and enroll in the class during registration. For certain sections, such as problem sessions, departments can link these non-enrollment components with the main lecture section (most common link, can be used with other components).
- Associated Class: This is also up to your department. Typically all sections of the same component will be grouped under the same association as long as they will all share the same credit hours and restrictions. Otherwise a good rule of thumb is to assign each section to their own association (e.g. section -001 in association 1, section -002 in association 2, etc.). This is necessary for classes that may have varying credit hours, such as special topics or internships, which require each section to exist within their own association. More on what class associations do/control here.
- Campus: Raleigh main will already be entered.
- Location: Select the magnifying glass icon for options. All online sections should use ‘DISTED’.
- Academic Organization: The appropriate acad org will auto populate based on the acad org selected for this course in the course catalog.
- Holiday Schedule: ‘SA’ for the standard schedule with student holidays and breaks will already be entered.
- Instruction Mode: This field will default to ‘P’ for In-Person instruction as most classes will be taught on campus. This should be changed for study abroad and hybrid sections. Internet sections** should use ‘IN’ or ‘IA’.
**If adding an online DE section make sure that you are also placing class notes #0172 and #0067. These are required to alert students to the possibility of proctored exams and DE tuition and fees information. Class notes are found under the ‘Notes’ tab in Maintain Schedule of Classes.
- Schedule Print: This check box should be selected for the class to show in the class search and for students to see. If the section is only tentative you can uncheck the schedule print option.
Step 3: Click the ‘Save’ button in the bottom left corner.
2. During open access and the class was not offered in the previous like-term
Note: You’ll know when you search for the class under the correct term and there are no results found. The course has to already be approved and active in the course catalog.
Step 1: When in the Scheduling Work Center click on ‘Schedule New Course’ under the ‘More Class Scheduling’ section in the left menu.
Step 2: At a minimum fill out the following fields and click on ‘Search’
- Academic Institution = NCSU1
- Term = select the term that corresponds to the semester the class will be offered in (e.g. 2198 for Fall 2019, 2201 for Spring 2020, and so on)
- Subject Area = enter course prefix
- Catalog Nbr
Step 3: Following step 2 from previous adding a section instructions, fill out the required ‘Basic Data’ fields.
Step 4: Click the ‘Save’ button in the bottom left corner.
3. After your open access has ended
Fill out and submit the Add New Section form.